Book Review: Persuasion by Jane Austen.

"Twenty-seven-year old Anne Elliot is Austen's most adult heroine. Eight years before the story proper begins, she is happily betrothed to a naval officer, Frederick Wentworth, but she precipitously breaks off the engagement when persuaded by her friend Lady Russell that such a match is unworthy. The breakup produces in Anne a deep and long-lasting regret. When later Wentworth returns from sea a rich and successful captain, he finds Anne's family on the brink of financial ruin and his own sister a tenant in Kellynch Hall, the Elliot estate. All the tension of the novel revolves around one question: Will Anne and Wentworth be reunited in their love?"

Genre: Classic, Romance novel, Fiction
Pages: 223
Published: December 1817

My thoughts.
It is kind of weird that I am not reviewing Pride and Prejudice first, since it is my favourite Jane Austen novel, but Persuasion comes close. It shares the second spot with Emma, this because of various reasons. 

First of all: Anne Elliot's brilliant character. Jane Austen has a way of creating a strong female charachter, each time with different ideals and thoughts. Anne Elliot is the silent heroine type. 
To explain the story a bit further: Anne was engaged to the handsome but not so rich Captain Wentworth eight years ago, but because of Lady Russel's negative advice, she broke off the engagement and let him go. 
In the first chapter of this novel, we learn that Anne's father has made serious debts and that the family needs to rent out their estate, Kellynch Hall, in order to save some money. They find a couple who is capable of looking after the estate while they're gone: Admiral and Mrs. Croft. Anne couldn't be more excited, since Mrs. Croft is Captain Wentworth's sister and it is very likely that he will come to visit her at Kellynch Hall. 
Anne has always regretted the choice to break off the engagement and still loves Captain Wentworth with all her heart. 

Anne's character is very lovable and innocent. She has had eight years to learn from her mistakes and therefore knows exactly what she wants and why she was wrong. 
She is eager to see Wentworth again but she doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. So she keeps quiet about her feelings, even when she speaks with Wentworth again and when she thinks that he is falling in love with Louisa, her sister-in-law. 

Anne is very mature, responsible and because she keeps so calm, this novel is almost drama free. There are no huge and shocking twists and turns and the only thing Jane gave this novel was a screwed up family. Anne's family never supported her in any decision she ever made and by following her own emotions in this novel, she breaks free from the pressure and choses her own path, which makes the story easy to relate to, even now.

Second reason: I got sucked into the story from the first line to the last, and even though the minor characters are prominently present, all I could think of was 'Anne and Wentworth, Anne and Wentworth'. They are perfectly innocent and cute and they have manners and emotions, which turns them into an admirable couple. Jane used flirtation and jealousy to show Wentworth's feelings because all he wanted to do was let Anne know how much he still loved her, and he tried to make her jealous by flirting with her friends. WRONG MOVE MY FRIEND. 

But I forgive him, as he is perfect and sweet and charming and this novel is just perfect because it's romantic, funny, intelligent and perfect. Wait, did I already say that? 
So go read it if you want to get into the Jane Austen period, or if you just want to read a good classic. 
I will end this review by once again portraying Captain Wentworth and Jane's geniusness. (is that a word?)

"I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half in agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dank je wel voor het reageren! :)